Goa is a small state located in the west coast of India. It is probably the most visited destination by tourists, in India. The beaches, food, drink and shopping makes Goa one of the most desirable locations in India. There are plenty of things to see in Goa. But some places are a must see. Never miss the following places if you make a trip to Goa:
- Bom Jesus Basilica: It is a huge Basilica which is located in Old Goa and is listed as a heritage site by the United Nations. It is home to the preserved body of St. Francis Xavier, who was responsible in spreading Catholicism in India. The architecture of this church has influence of old Italian buildings and churches also called as baroque architecture. The church was completed in 1605. It is regarded as the oldest church in India. The body is preserved in a silver cascade and is removed every 10 years for viewing. Besides this church, there are many old churches in Old Goa.
- Calangute Beach: It is located a few kilometers away from Panaji. Calangute beach is known to be a very busy beach with tourists and hawkers thronging the area. It is a must visit for the tourists because one can buy beautiful things for less price. One can buy trinkets, souvenirs, clothes, hats and many more souvenirs. Along with the shopping, there are many food stalls which serve great food and cheap alcohol. You can soak in the sun while sipping on some good locally produced beer.
- Chapora fort and Anjuna Beach: Besides the sun and the beaches, Goa is also known for its forts. Chapora fort is located near Mapusa. The fort is located on a height and it gives a great view of the Arabian Sea. Historically speaking, it was built by AdilShah. Later, when he was defeated, the fort was destroyed. But during the Portuguese rule in 1600s, they rebuilt it. Next to Chapora fort is the beautiful Anjuna beach. This beach is also known for its flea market and eating and lodging shacks.
- Shantadurga Temple: Though Goa is dominated by Catholic population; there is trace of Hindu population. The Shantadurga temple is located at Kavlem, Phonda. The temple was constructed during the rule of Chatrapati Shahu Raje of Satara. It is one of the picturesque temples in west India and has a flavour of both, Konkan and South India.
- Santa Monica jetty: Located in the Patto colony in Panaji, it is a must go for all the tourists for some reasons. Firstly, you can see the sea and the beauty and lights surrounding it in the night. Secondly, you enjoy local music and entertainment in the cruise. There is a lot for the family and kids too. Thirdly, you can spot dolphins if you are lucky. It is a perfect way to end the day and your stay at Goa.
Goa does not only mean soaking in the sun and drinking pints of beer together, it has a lot more heritage and culture to offer. So make sure you see all these places when you step in the magical land of Goa.